Northern Territory Camp and Barunga Festival
Preshil is in its second year with a new pioneering Year 9 Experience Program. Students embark on this exciting and challenging experience beginning early June. This 14 day journey begins in Darwin, travelling to Bachelor, Litchfield, Katherine, Jabiru and Berry Springs. Two of the key highlights of the trip are the camping at the Annual Barunga Music, Sport and Cultural Festival now in its 31st year and a unique collaboration with Kormilda College.
The Barunga Festival has rich opportunities for our students to participate and engage with a remote indigenous community. Students experience positive aspects of community life through sport, music (contemporary and traditional), arts and culture. Their visit to Kormilda College opens the way for our students to make connections with a school that is steeped in local history and a wide variety of cultural backgrounds. Kormilda provides a full secondary residential education program for indigenous students but also serves the broader community as an International Baccalaureate School.
The Program provides a wealth of opportunities for both students and the school community, including:
• Pioneering program taking an entire year level of students to Barunga
• Experience in camping at a remote indigenous community
• Exposure to aboriginal music, sport and culture at Barunga Festival
• Making connections with Kormilda College through the IB Middle Years and Diploma Programs
• Gaining cultural awareness from a session with Flinders University lecturer Don Christophersen
• Music, art and sport activities take place with Kormilda students
• Learning about ancient aboriginal rock art at Ubir Rock.
*Preshil is an authorised IB World School for the Middle Years Programme and Diploma Programme, and a candidate school for the IB Primary Years Programme. IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to high quality, challenging, international education that Preshil – The Margaret Lyttle Memorial School, believes is important for our students.
*Only schools authorised by the IB Organization can offer any of its three academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), or the Diploma Programme. Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorisation will be granted.