Preshil provides a progressive and compelling alternative to the outdated conformity of mainstream schooling.
At our core remains an unshakeable commitment to encouraging all children to progress at their own pace towards their own goals and to be respected as individuals in their own right. A commitment to our children to be nurtured and challenged in an atmosphere that inspires creativity and independent thinking in all areas of life and does not, overtly or subtly, use competition or punishment to motivate through the fear of failure. As global citizens we encourage an awareness of world issues and encourage effort to make a positive difference. We believe that education should prepare students to be thoughtful, peace loving and active citizens of the world. Preshil will remain a school that puts kindness, compassion and social relationships at the centre of its operations
There is a global re-imagining of schooling and education taking place, bringing ‘new’ teaching styles, pedagogical philosophies and child-centric learning into focus. Having embodied these ‘new’ ideals since our inception, we are extraordinarily well positioned to in the contemporary educational landscape to respond this re-imagining, never having been locked into the factory model approach of many other schools.
Preshil evolved out of the Progressive Movement of Europe, England and America at the turn of the twentieth century, emphasising individuality, creative and critical thinking, social inclusion and democratic ideals, and today draw influence from leading contemporary educational thinkers, such as Sir Kenneth Robinson.
We are able to deliver what so many other schools can only claim to, but are prevented from doing by their unyielding adherence to rigid traditions, authoritarian systems of control, discipline, competition and curriculum locked into the outdated delivery of subject-specific content, dominated by preparation for the VCE. Preshil has a genuine commitment to engaging and accommodating every student as an individual.
Our students are openly supported to challenge ideas, question conventional wisdom, form their own opinions and set their own goals. Academic achievement does not come at the expense of health and wellbeing, which along with a confident sense of self-worth are integral to successful personal and academic development.
Preshil is an authorised International Baccalaureate World School for the Middle Years (Years 7-10) and Diploma (Years 11&12) Programmes, and is a candidate school* for the IB Primary Years Programme.
How we operate
- We genuinely welcome all spiritual faiths and backgrounds and support inclusive social practices.
- Students are not required to address teachers by any titles that denote superior rank or deference.
- Our teachers are not tasked with policing petty rules or punishing nonconformity.
- We do not have a school uniform.
- We don’t confuse learning with discipline.
- Our students are not ranked into hierarchies of winners and losers in their learning, abilities or personalities.
- We don’t anoint leaders, privilege giftedness or outstanding sporting ability.
- Students are not prevented from “having a go” in case their performance somehow tarnishes the School’s reputation.
- The success of our School, students or teachers is not measured by discredited league tables and superficial standardised tests.
- Individual wellbeing, engagement and self-expression are of the utmost importance.